Personal style is more than fashion, it is attitude and everything. It’s how you dress, style your hair, decorate your home, act on a date, choose a gift, treat a friend, drive your car, say yes to something, say no to something, do your job, get your job, quit your job, and make your choices. Everything, and I mean everything, can and should be done with a sense of style.
When I say style, I’m not just referring to the latest trends or the most popular designers. I mean your personal style, the style that is uniquely suited to you and everything you think, feel, want and do. So in that spirit, I’ve made a list of three icons who have inspired me and my personal sense of style.
1. “If I could find a real-life place that’d make me feel like Tiffany’s then I’d buy some furniture and give the cat a name.”
I know, I know… it’s not exactly original, but who doesn’t love her? Only some people are more familiar with Audrey Hepburn’s little black dress than the character herself. She is so much more than that. First of all, Holly Golightly isn’t even her real name. She picked the name herself and chose it the same way she chooses her clothes; to look and feel like the person she wants to be. She doesn’t just want control, she seizes it.
Holly Golightly had her whole life in California, then one morning she woke up and thought, I’ve never been to New York, and moved the same day. When she gets an idea nothing stands in her way. Which then leads us to her infamous lack of commitment; to her pet, apartment, city, job or relationship. It’s not because she can’t settle down, it’s because she refuses to settle. She’s looking for the best, what feels right, and won’t stop until she finds it.
Lastly, her style is all about two things; classy and fun. Whether it’s visiting a prison, shopping at the dollar store or wearing a sheet with a tiara, it seems there’s nothing she can’t make fabulous and is a joy to watch.
2. You can’t keep a posh spice down…
There are only two teams, either you loved the spice girls or you hated them. No matter where you stood everyone had to admit that Victoria Beckham (then Adams) had style. The super sleek bob, the little black dress, the way she automatically posed whenever she sang. Victoria was rich, successful, and famous. But what usually happens to all overnight sensations? Their popularity dwindles, the band breaks up, and eventually they disappear; not Victoria.
Victoria became a fashion powerhouse and a style icon just by being herself. Sometimes if you have taste to spare and the right opinion of everything, people just start to pay attention. They listen to what you have to say and watch to see what you do until suddenly you’re a celebrity (again). The kind of celebrity that creates her own perfume line and has a haircut women ask their stylists to imitate. Mrs. Beckham writes lifestyle coffee table books, stars in reality shows about her fabulous life, and is married to the man everyone likes to stare at (it’s practically a national pastime in England). Best of all, she makes some of the most beautiful, simple, fantastically cut clothes, and wears them better than anyone.
3. To catch a prince….
1) She’s a princess and I don’t care who you are, there is a small part of your inner child that thinks, Oooooh! Princess! It’s okay, you don’t have to admit it. We’ll keep that between us.
2) Unlike some other members of royalty (who are nice enough looking, but let’s just say they would never be hired to play a princess in a Hollywood movie) she is simply and elegantly beautiful.
3) She caught the attention of her prince charming with a fashion show.
4) She is abandoned by said prince and when her patience and loyalty runs out, she does the only thing a girl can do. She gets a job in fashion, calls her girlfriends, and starts painting the town red. Love is one thing, pride another, but never be there for someone who isn’t there for you. That’s a real princess (in a good way).
5) She knows when to forgive. They were young, he grew up, and I assume apologized for the errors of his ways. Even then, she made him wait three years before getting engaged. Let’s not let him off too easy, even if he is a prince.
6) First, last, and best of all, the girl can DRESS. She makes it on every list. Whether it’s “Top 100 Most Influential” or “Top 20 Best Dressed”, you don’t need a magazine article to see it. Just look at any photo, any event, any year. She is timeless, flawless, and most importantly…
P.S. Remember to have fun.